Saturday, April 10, 2010

Audience Apprehension

My act consists of many routines using audience participation. This makes me appealing to bookers, as an involved audience is a happy audience. A happy audience makes the booker/coordinator look good.

However, audiences for the most part have had limited exposure to live magic. David Blaine, and Criss Angel they've seen, but live, not much. The random person may have seen a clown perform, or a really bad cliched magician, who may have even insulted an audience member.

This results in an apprehension of volunteers as they feel they may be embarrassed, harassed, or possible even harmed. There is nothing I can say to the crowd... "trust me, I won't hurt you or embarrass you". So I must act the part.

I try to make the show sarcastic, and enjoyable, and if there is any jabs, it is at my expense. (I have no problem looking bad to make sure you shine).

Lesson: On behalf of all magicians, please don't be afraid to join us onstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment