Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jugglers, and Mimes, And Magicians, Oh MY!

In the last blog, I mentioned that magic as an art is linked to mimes and juggling as an art. I'd like to extrapolate it a bit.

While juggling requires skill, the professional jugglers (as seen in higher end events, trade shows etc) are out of the public's eye. When you think jugglers you may think county fair, or passing the hat at something like a street market. And there are varying degrees, of which I always seem to catch some of the, well...they could use some practice.

Mimes? Well....enough said.

As for magic, a search on youtube brings up many tweens and teens "performing" and they either accidentally expose the effect.

So, juggling at the county fair, with names that are just horrible (reddian fit), and 14 years olds who learn a trick and 5 minutes later have a video of it on you tube.

I can see how they are linked in the public's mind. I hope a few big hitters keep the art alive.

Lesson: Your passion for anything is fantastic, but before you show it to anyone outside of immediate family, make sure you are 1) entertaining and 2) technically proficient.

Someone who drops juggling clubs is on par with a magician who can't shuffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment